Thursday, January 9, 2014

On Being Kind


(via)

Throughout the past week, I have been repeatedly accused of "being too nice" as I compliment guests at work or stick up for random strangers. I have been laughed at & told "that's ok [that you're so nice] I guess, but I'm going to make fun of you for it."

It has gotten under my skin & I am honestly quite bothered.

Why do some people think it's ok or cool or funny to be so mean to people, whether they know them or not?

In response to this woman, I replied "why not be nice? When I am given a compliment or greeted with a smile, it often makes my whole day. Don't you enjoy making people feel special &/or happy?"

The answer to that was another laugh.

This post is not written to bash my co-worker. It's written in the hopes of encouraging others to:
Smile at others. Say hello! The tired woman, the grumpy man, everyone. We don't know their story or how their day has been. Your friendly countenance might be the only one they encounter today (obviously use wisdom & discretion when talking to strangers - safety first!)
Think before you open your mouth. Is this kind? Does it build others up? 
Think of one compliment for everyone you see - whether you tell them or not. I have been working on this & it really helps train you to see people as He sees them - made in His image!

I'm not climbing up on some pink, sparkly pedestal here. We all say things we regret. I'm just issuing a reminder to everyone (myself included) to remember to be kind

1 John 4:7-8
My beloved friends, let us continue to love each other since love comes from God. Everyone who loves is born of God and experiences a relationship with God. The person who refuses to love doesn’t know the first thing about God, because God is love—so you can’t know him if you don’t love. 

1 Corinthians 13:4
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great post! Thanks for visiting my blog :) I think that's really a great idea to think of a compliment for everyone you see even if you don't tell them because it helps us see each other the way God sees us! I love that!

    The enemy will always try to discourage you but I'm glad you stick to being nice and just doing what is right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouraging words, Lovelyladyjb!! :)

    ReplyDelete